Faith and spirituality may be an inseparable component of people’s lives. But the story may not be same for everyone. There are people who are extremely fearful of god and religion. The person may completely cut off from any activity related with religion, god and spirituality.
Theophobia has been derived from Greek word “Theo” meaning god or deity. It is signified by unexplainable and intense fear of god, with major display of avoidance behavior. The person may be unreasonably repulsive and avoids all kind of spiritual activities. The person may even not make any interaction with other people believing in religion.
Major causes that might be causing Theophobia in people are:
A person who has been brought up under a strict religious environment, and extensively taught about how lord or god can punish upon bad deeds might instill this kind of unexpected phobia. The person may not fear god directly, but scared of the wrath of the god if he/she does anything wrong according to the religion. Such kind of religious conjecture might cause Theophobia in many people.
Any distressful incident such as grade failures, or being unsuccessful in work and relationship that has been linked with “god’s punishment” can created the fear of god. The person may start believing that every distress has been caused by god, and starts dreading one.
Common symptoms that can occur with anyone having Theophobia are:
- Persistent, intense and unexplainable fear of god and religion or anything related with it
- Constant thoughts about god or god’s wrath
- Avoidance from houses or temples having god image, worshipping or religious interactions
- Immediate repulsion and ignoring any religious activity and talk
- Agitation upon religious encounters
- Panic attacks upon religious encounters
- Physical symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sweating, increased heart beat, trembling, crying, frequent urination and abdominal uneasiness
Theophobia can be a real problem if the person needs to live around other people who actually are religiously active and strong believers. In such cases, the person needs to take help from a doctor. Moreover, if the above symptoms have been occurring for more than six months and created hassle in the daily living of the person, one should opt to start the treatment process.
- Zeusophobia – fear of gods